About the Role
Our current vegetable farmer just indicated she needs to move in with her newly-single high school sweetheart aka big love of her life...across the country! She is in love and we are heartbroken!
So, we are looking for either a long-term full-time replacement (someone skilled and passionate and eager to work with us get our market gardens to the next level) or someone with solid skills and willing to get us to the end of this season. We are completely open to either option (with a big preference for the former).
We care about this position deeply. We are lucky to have a stellar, hard-working team working with the livestock, silvopasture and in the Farm Stand kitchen, but this Market Gardens Farmer will soon become a missing piece of the puzzle for us!
Check out the job description, below, and feel free to share. Don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org of 845-320-2773 if you have any questions at all!
The Market Garden Production Manager is a full-time position with hourly pay commensurate with experience starting at $25/hour. We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative, and skilled farmer to join our team as the Market Gardens Production Manager responsible for the production of vegetables, flowers, plants and herbs at the farm. The ideal candidate has at least four years of experience producing organic vegetables; the ability to develop efficient workflows; implement clear and transparent operational procedures; promote a safe work and enjoyable environment for all staff, trainees, educators, and guests; and is committed and excited about our values. The main market garden is 6 groups of 7 60’ long beds on a southern facing slope (42 60’ rows total). There is a smaller garden below with 20 4’x4’ planters. And finally, 9 40’ rows of cut flowers not pictured here.
● Minimum of 4 years experience in successful production of organic vegetable crops, including high tunnel and propagation experience
● Experience with upkeep and maintenance of facilities and farm equipment
● Mechanical and technical ability to troubleshoot issues with equipment, irrigation, and infrastructure
● Experience in the maintenance of crop production, GAP, pesticide applications, organic certification, soil health, and other production related documentation
● Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
Duties & Responsibilities
● Maintain and expand vegetable, medicinal herb, and flower gardens, prep beds, order-manage-organize equipment and supplies, order and start seeds, produce plants for spring plant sale, ‘pick your own’ programs, plant, manage irrigation, weed, fertilize, manage pests and diseases
● Plan and set up for winter season
● Harvest and coordinate harvests with farm stand
● Keep records, create and document procedures, manage crop rotation for future seasons.
● Build out and set up high tunnel
● Plan and maintain the compost system
● Build out smaller landscape gardens around farm stand, stable, pond and farmhouse
● Create tasks that are appropriate for volunteers, manage those tasks.
● Apply and obtain organic and other certifications.
● Participate in farm tours, field days and workshops as requested
● Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies
● Promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices
● Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
● Operate tractors and equipment safely and effectively
Please send a resume and letter of interest explaining your fit for the position to email@example.com.